Thursday, June 7, 2012

Being Honest gets me





A GED

Yep. Your vision is still ok 

Some of you may not know but I only made it to my junior year of high school. I was forced to drop-out by the school because of my attendance record. 

But that didn't stop me...

2005 Mankato Minnesota... 

I entered South Central College's nursing program. I wanted to become a nurse. Really bad! Upon entering I was asked tons of questions on the application such as my age, address of residency, etc. I was also asked about my level of education. 

I told them I never completed high school. They went ahead and let me begin college pending that I passed a GED. I took 3 of 5 tests. I passed the 3 I took but never took the other 2 tests.

Before starting college I took the placement test. I passed with flying colors. Colors good enough they never questioned or asked for the results of my GED testing. I decided at the time NOT to tell them.

 They allowed me to enroll in another semester without the proof. It's as if they put in that I had a GED but I didn't. 


Then I transferred these credits to Ivy Tech Community College in 2009 to start college in 2010. Again I was asked tons of questions about my personal history and again I marked down that I had already achieved a GED.

Without question I placed {assessment testing} into taking the rest of my general education courses and pre-requisites for nursing. I completed ALL of my general education courses and all of my pre-requistite courses for nursing by Spring of 2011.

THEN>>>> I decided I didn't want to be a nurse.

So the college hunt began. I found a school. And was able to soul search for the degree I desired ~ to become a Web Designer. 

Again I was asked my level of education. This time I was on the phone with my student advisor while filling out the forms. When answering...not sure if it was the changes I've made to my life and self...but I was actually honest. I said...I don't have any of these {listed}. She said excuse me? No... Just mark the one that you have. I again repeated...I don't have any of these. She asked how I managed to put years of college under my belt without a high school diploma or GED? I told her the truth. She thanked me for being honest and advised me to get it done. It wouldn't have kept me from going to school {with my credits transferring in } had she not known... but because I told her... the truth... it was definitely something I needed to think about.

My GED scores from South Central transferred as Incomplete. Obviously. So retesting on all 5 subjects was a must for me.




Since last Friday I have been studying and studying. Worrying and worrying. Studying some more. Beginning to feel ashamed and stupid. Then a LONG talk with my hubs made everything better.


So... I put on my big girl pants and paid the test fees. Registered. And sat through hours of testing this past Monday and Wednesday.

I'm so relieved it's unbelievable - to be honest. And to get one more triumph under my belt since my days of addiction and destruction.

I'm so happy for myself right now ... of the accomplishments that {together} Kale and I have achieved over this last 3 years.


NOW.... I await for the results.

waiting...

waiting....

I hope to find out next week if I passed these tests for good.

Our God is an awesome GOD. I got the second chance at a great life and through HIM I will succeed.

”He had great success in everything he did because the Lord was with him.”

1 Samuel 18:14

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished