Monday, January 6, 2014

This Crazy Foot of Mine


{ Catching up on the latest }

So you all remember my foot surgery? I will opt for showing you the gross photos again but if you don't remember... I had a bunionectomy in 2010. The surgeon opened my foot, surgically broke  my bone (the largest knuckle in the foot) and then reshaped it after placing 2 pins to hold it all together. This was supposed to free me of the pain and correct the tendon that ran along the top of my foot as well ( it was pulling my largest metatarsal in a direction that it was not meant to go).


Well... Things weren't going so smoothly. Ever since my surgery, I experienced pain and swelling in my foot. I continued to run despite the pain. I could only make it around 2 miles before I had to call it quits and run home.

 I finally had enough pain from running that I decided to go and see my doctor. 

So, 9 months ago, along to the doctor I went. He told me I had to wear my boot because I "possibly" a stress fracture. I completely ignored his advice...his medical opinion...and said ah ah. I am going to continue running and I am NOT wearing that boot again.

Well, I did myself a big fat favor. My stress fracture got so bad, I couldn't walk anymore. Am I seriously that hard headed?? Yes.

So I went back to my doctor in October and without a doubt, he scolded me. I asked him to fix it!

He placed me in a boot again.  I have had several x-rays and exams but I really couldn't get any answers. The one thing my doctor did tell me was that this may be permanent from the surgery. What does that mean? That means that the surgery performed changed the anatomy of my foot and the way it physically reacts to running and even walking.



:( HUGE SAD FACE!

How is it that I love to run and I will probably never get to run again.

Needless to say...I have gained well over 18 pounds from not being able to run. I am not really a gym kind of person. I ignored the weight gain completely until I hit 18 pounds. Then it hit me...I had to do something to take care of this foot and be able to keep my metabolism at its best.

So, wore the boot as directed for 2 months. I got the boot off December 11th. Unfortunately, I am still in pain even when walking. I will be seeing my doctor again today. I am really hoping for better news this time.

I am not sure if corrective surgery is a route that he will want to go. I believe orthotics will be the next step. I really don't want to have to wear special shoes but at this point, I am willing to do whatever it takes to be able to run again. I really hope to hear some answers.

At least I am back to wearing two shoes :)





~ The Shank Family

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished