Friday, April 27, 2012

Remembering April



This month is a special month for Sharin. I will never forget a particular day...

April 14, 2010

On this day 2 years ago two special things happened in my life. I graduated drug court and got engaged!

Drug court was horrible. It was long. It was devastating and miserable. It changed my life.

I had a rough - I would say - 10 years of drug and alcohol abuse. I was in some pretty bad places. Dark places. I never ever want to be there again.

I will skip the drug abuse part and skip straight to my arrest. January 9, 2009. I will never forget the feeling of having Task Force surrounding my house. My child was taken. I was relieved. Scared. Ready for change. 

When I got in front of the Superior Court Judge in Vanderburgh County, Indiana I was given 2 choices. I could take jail time of up to 6 years and probation for 2 years. { Being that I was a first time non-violent offender I wouldn't have been in jail very long. Probation probably would have let me pay them all my fine money and I would have basically walked away from some really serious charges}

~OR~

I could serve 18 months of Day Reporting Drug Court.

I chose to serve Drug Court knowing I wouldn't be able to touch drugs while in the program. I knew I had to get sober. It wasn't an option. If I failed this program I would definitely serve the maximum sentence allowable in Prison. If I successfully completed Drug Court they would drop all charges completely.

If I chose the other route, yes, I would basically be off the hook. I would have freedom. I could have gone back to my old life of drugs and alcohol. But my arrest charges (6 total) would have remained permanently on my record for the rest of my life.

I'm glad I chose Drug Court. Had a rough time but managed to get through it. I had my 18 months dropped to 1 year and graduated early. As I stood at the podium to give my speech...I was staring at Kale the entire time. Everyone who was there who knew me was in tears. I was so emotional I can't even remember what I said. At the very end of the graduation they handed me my mug shot from the day I was arrested. I immediately started crying. I couldn't believe I ever looked like that. I earned a sobriety coin and a plaque that night. I still have both and they will always remain.

Kale and I left the graduation. We headed to a place we both have never been. I honestly thought that it was a really great date.

He took me to West Baden Springs Hotel & Spa in French Lick Indiana. AWESOME! Expensive too. I couldn't believe how much that boy saved to give me a really awesome graduation present. We had a room on the very top floor of the hotel. A private patio reserved for our dinner. A private butler and waitress. A half of a day spa session for just me. You name it I had it done. From my nails to my hair to a massage! It was absolutely fabulous! 

The night I graduated Kale got down on one knee ( shaking tremendously) and asked me to be his wife. Of course I said yes.

I mean seriously. In one year I got sober, got both my kids back, and got engaged. It was like a dream.

I will TRULY NEVER FORGET THIS MONTH!! How could anybody?

CLICK HERE to see the story.

What an amazing month it is every single time April rolls around. As a token of my appreciation I also send a gratitude letter to Mr. Todd Wilson ( my drug court officer ) every year thanking the program. It takes my breathe away every time I read the letter before putting it in the envelope for the last time. 

April is almost over. Time to move onto May. 

What a month of remembrance. 







7 comments :

  1. That's an awesome story!! I'm so proud of you for getting your life back to a good place and overcoming all those obstacles. It takes a really strong person to go from a place that is so dark to the great life and person you are today. Sounds like you have a lot to be thankful for including Mr. Shank. :-)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I think Mr. Shank is right. Even though he can sometimes be a complete pain in my rear...I don't think I would be where I am today without him. I have so much to be thankful for. Looking onto the future now :) It looks so great!

      Delete
  2. Sharin,
    I know you all to well to know how much you struggled with this particular issue of dark places. I am so glad that you were able to pull away from it and become an awesome, loving, caring mother, friend, and wife. You are a great person! Keep up the great work! :)

    Love,
    Your friend
    Nikki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nikki. You've had my back since I met you! I love that about you. You've also had my children's back. That's what I love MOST about you. The Serenity Prayer is key and it's one of the closest prayers I have in my heart still today. Thank you for being there when really NO ONE else was.

      LOVE ME

      Delete
  3. Sharin, I will continue to pray daily for you!! We serve a great God, a God of second, and so on, chances!! Continue to serve him and know that you are loved so much!! Luv ya, Jodi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sharin, I will continue to pray daily for you!! We serve a great God, a God of second, and so on, chances!! Continue to serve him and know that you are loved so much!! Luv ya, Jodi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jodi! All that you say is so true and I know this now. I am trying with all my heart to grow closer to Him each day. Your words mean a lot to me. Thank you for the prayers. Our God is Awesome and he has indeed given me the chance to LIVE. :)
      LOVE ME

      Delete

Blog Design by Get Polished