Thursday, August 4, 2011

It's Not Yet Time!

Kale had to take me into the Women's Hospital last night around 7:30 p.m. I went into preterm labor with our Ladybug.

I have been having contractions every now and then for about a month. Anytime I have any questions whether I think they are stupid or silly I call my Doc. Well, about a month ago (I believe) Kale and I were grocery shopping. I had noticed I was having Braxton Hicks contractions. They were a little scary being that I was only around 4 months pregnant. So, I called my Doctor. The on-call Physician said as long as you aren't bleeding you should be fine. Just go rest. So I did. But life takes over. I have been acting normal: the cleaning, cooking, working a LOT, and trying to rest. I am restless these days. It's hard to "rest" when you have so much going on under one roof.

So a month has gone by since these contractions started and just this last week they got uncomfortable. I mean to where if I am having a contraction I have to literally stop what I am doing and just freeze. (these contractions are by no means comparable to actually being in labor) however, these contractions really started scaring me these last few days. Finally yesterday I told Kale they are hurting me. They are getting tighter and more frequent. I can't breathe, talk or move when I have one.

So I called my Doctor. The on-call Physician told me to go admit myself at the Women's Hospital. We got there and I was monitored. I was having contractions 8 mintues apart. Some were uncomfortable and some were not that bad. The nurse started an IV. OUCH! She blew two veins in one arm before she finally got an IV started in my hand. That was very uncomfortable. Then to tell me she used the wrong sized needle. "Lord, please help me to stay calm, have patience, and see that she is just here to help me"! Then they did some testing. One of the tests was a Fetal Fibronectin test. This test is to see whether you are at risk of preterm labor. Ladybug was negative for this test.

They monitored my contractions some more. Then decided to give me a Tocolytic medication to relax my uterus and help stop or calm these contractions. The medication didn't stop the contractions but they became barely noticeable and farther apart. She told me I could be released after an hour.

We checked out around midnight. Poor Kale could barely keep his eyes open and Tyler was passed out like a log. I was definitely feeling funny from the medication but we finally got home and all snuggled into bed.

I will have to call my Doctor today to find out her plan of action if these contractions don't subside. I fear for my ladybug and it's hard to think about having her too early. I know now-a-days with the technology and medication that things will be o.k. I am trying as hard as I can to rest and take things easier. I might even have to stop working. Right now the only thing I care about is making sure I listen to my Doctor and keep this baby in the oven until it's time for her to come.

Love,
The Shank Family

No comments :

Post a Comment

Blog Design by Get Polished